How to manage multiple UniFi controllers on a single IP
Published onNovember 20, 2023#how-to
Running multiple UniFi Controllers on a single IP addres is an efficient and cost-effective way to run your networks. Managed Service Providers (MSPs) and larger organizations adopt this method. Here is a step-by-step guide in setting it up.
Table of Contents
- Technical setup:
- Advanced Considerations
- Each UniFi Controller must listen on different ports to avoid conflicts. For instance, you could set one controller to use the default ports (HTTP: 8080, HTTPS: 8443) and configure another to use alternative ports (HTTP: 8081, HTTPS: 8444).
- Remember to update your firewall rules to allow traffic on these ports.
- Use subdomains to direct to different controllers, e.g.,
- These subdomains can be mapped to the same IP but different ports, directing users to the correct controller interface.
- For HTTPS, consider using wildcard SSL certificates or individual SSL certificates for each subdomain.
- This ensures secure and encrypted connections to each controller.
- Although the controllers share an IP, they should be logically separated within the network. This enhances security and prevents potential interference between controllers.
- VLANs can be useful in this context to segregate traffic.
- Ensure the server hosting the controllers has sufficient resources (CPU, RAM, Disk Space) to handle multiple instances.
- Monitor performance regularly to avoid resource contention.
Backup and Recovery:
- Independently back up the configuration of each controller.
- This is crucial for disaster recovery and maintaining operational integrity.
Controller Version Consistency:
- Keep all controllers updated to the same UniFi software version for consistency and compatibility.
- Implement strong access controls and authentication methods for each controller to prevent unauthorized access.
- Load Balancing: For high availability and load distribution, consider implementing load balancers that can direct traffic to the appropriate controller based on load, ensuring optimal performance.
- Automated Deployment: Utilize scripting or automation tools for deploying new controllers or making bulk changes, ensuring efficient and error-free operations.
Managing multiple UniFi Controllers on a single IP is a viable solution for MSPs and large organizations looking to streamline their network management. By ensuring proper port management, secure DNS configurations, adequate resource allocation, and robust security practices, you can effectively run multiple controllers in a single, consolidated environment.
At UniHosted, we understand the complexities involved in such setups. Our cloud-hosted UniFi Controller solutions offer the flexibility and scalability needed for managing multiple controllers efficiently. With our expertise and support, you can ensure that your network management is both streamlined and secure, without the overhead of managing the underlying infrastructure. Feel free to check out what we can do for your here.