How to configure UniFi DNS settings
Published onNovember 20, 2023#how-to
Configuring DNS settings in a UniFi network is a crucial step to ensure a reliable network setup. The Domain Name System (DNS) translates human-readable domain names into IP addresses that computers use to communicate with each other. Proper DNS configuration can lead to faster internet browsing and more reliable network performance.
Table of Contents
- Understanding UniFi DNS Settings
- Step-by-Step Guide to Configure DNS Settings
Understanding UniFi DNS Settings
Before diving into the configuration steps, it's important to understand where DNS settings are applied in a UniFi network:
- UniFi Network Controller: Manages overall network settings, including DNS.
- USG (UniFi Security Gateway) or UDM (UniFi Dream Machine): Acts as the primary router and gateway for your network, where DNS settings can be configured.
Step-by-Step Guide to Configure DNS Settings
Accessing UniFi Controller
Login to UniFi Controller: Open your browser and log in to your UniFi Controller. This can be hosted locally or, as we do at UniHosted, in the cloud for easier and more robust management.
Navigate to Settings: In the UniFi Controller dashboard, click on 'Settings'.
Networks Section: Click on 'Networks'. This section allows you to manage the various networks (VLANs) you have set up.
Edit WAN Settings: Select the WAN network (usually named 'WAN') and click on 'Edit'.
DNS Settings: In the WAN settings, you will find the DNS configuration section.
Specify DNS Servers: Here, you can specify the DNS servers you want to use. You can use public DNS servers like Google (22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199), Cloudflare (188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206), or any other DNS service of your choice.
Apply Changes: After entering your preferred DNS servers, click on 'Save' to apply the changes.
- DHCP DNS Option: If you're using the UniFi Security Gateway (USG) or UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) as your DHCP server, ensure that it's configured to provide these DNS servers to the clients on your network.
- DNS Filtering or Security Services: If you're using DNS-based filtering or security services, ensure that the DNS settings align with these services' requirements.
Configuring DNS settings correctly is a vital part of your network management. A properly set up DNS leads to a more efficient and secure network.
For UniHosted customers, we manage these settings to optimize network performance and security, ensuring your UniFi network operates seamlessly. Feel free to check out how we can set you up here