How to install UniFi access points?
Published onNovember 20, 2023#how-to
Setting up UniFi Access Points (AP) is a critical step in establishing an efficient wireless network. Often it is not as straightforward as it seems. In this guide, we'll walk through the process of installing and configuring UniFi APs leveraging the best practices.
Table of Contents
- Installation Process for UniFi Access Points
Installation Process for UniFi Access Points
- Location: Choose a central location for your AP to ensure optimal coverage. Avoid physical obstructions and sources of interference.
- Mounting: Secure the AP to the ceiling or wall using the mounting hardware (normally provided). Ensure it's firmly in place.
Connecting to the Network
- Ethernet Cable: Connect the AP to your network using an Ethernet cable. This cable should link the AP to a PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch or a PoE injector, which provides both power and data connection.
Adopting the AP in the UniFi Controller
- Accessing the Controller: Open the UniFi Controller software. This can be hosted on a local machine or, as we do at UniHosted, in the cloud for easier access and management.
- Discovering the AP: The Controller should automatically detect the new AP. If not, you may need to set the inform URL manually.
Setting the Inform URL (If needed)
- SSH into the AP: Use an SSH client to access the AP. You'll need the device's IP address and the default credentials (
ubntfor both username and password).
- Set Inform Command: Enter the following command, replacing
your-controller-network-addresswith your actual controller's address:
- Adoption in Controller: After executing this command, go back to your UniFi Controller. The AP should appear for adoption. Click "Adopt".
Configuring the AP
- Settings: Once adopted, configure the AP according to your network requirements – SSID, security settings, guest networks, etc.
- Updates: Ensure the firmware is up to date for optimal performance and security.
- Network Tests: Perform tests to ensure the AP is functioning correctly and providing the desired coverage.
- Monitoring: Use the UniFi Controller to monitor the AP's performance and make adjustments as necessary.
Installing UniFi AP can be difficult since ttention to detail is crucial for achieving the best performance. With UniHosted's cloud-hosted UniFi Controller services, managing and monitoring your UniFi devices becomes much simpler and more efficient.
Our platform allows for easy access to your network's configuration and performance metrics, ensuring your wireless network runs smoothly and securely. If you're looking to streamline your UniFi setup and management, consider exploring our cloud-hosted solutions. Feel free to give us a spin!