How to connect U6 Pro to a UniFi Controller
Published onNovember 20, 2023#how-to
At some point you'll find yourself needing to connect new devices like the U6 Pro to your UniFi Controller. This process, known as device adoption, is a critical step to integrate these into your network.
This post is focused on how to connect a U6 Pro to your UniFi Controller. We'll walk you through it step-by-step.
Table of Contents
- Initial Setup
- Adopting the Device
- Final Thoughts
Before beginning the adoption process, ensure that your UniFi setup is complete. We typically recommend using a UniFi Cloud Gateway for a seamless experience. Connect your U6 Pro to a Power over Ethernet (PoE) source that's on the same network as your UniFi Controller.
Adopting the Device
- Through Web Browser: Sign in to the UniFi Site Manager on your web browser.
- Using Mobile App: Alternatively, you can use the UniFi Mobile App (available for both iOS and Android) for device adoption.
Layer 3 Adoption (For Remote Networks)
- In cases where the U6 Pro is on a different network than your UniFi Controller, you'll need to undertake Layer 3 adoption.
- DNS Configuration: Configure your DNS server to resolve 'UniFi' to your remote UniFi Network Application.
- Using SSH: Ensure your U6 Pro is in a factory-default state, then SSH into the device. Issue the command
set-inform http://ip-of-host:8080/informto direct the U6 Pro to your UniFi Controller. Following this, the device will appear for adoption as a standard Layer 2 device.
- Before setup or adoption, UniFi devices have default credentials. For UniFi devices like the U6 Pro, the default credentials are either
ubnt / ubntor
ui / ui.
- Remember to change these default credentials to maintain network security after the adoption process.
Adopting a U6 Pro to your UniFi Controller is a straightforward process, whether you're doing it locally or remotely. By following these steps, you can integrate your device seamlessly into your network.
If you're looking for a hassle-free, cloud-based solution for managing your UniFi Controller, consider our services at UniHosted. We specialize in hosting UniFi Controllers, ensuring a better management experience for all your UniFi devices. Learn more about what we can do for you here