Configuring Private Pre-Shared Keys (PPSK)
Published onNovember 1, 2023
Private Pre-Shared Key (PPSK) is a unique, device-specific password system for Wi-Fi networks. With PPSK, each device receives a distinct password, enhancing security and user management. This manual guides you through the PPSK configuration in UniFi.
Table of Contents
- Step 1: Access the UniFi Network Dashboard
- Step 2: Navigate to Wi-Fi Settings
- Step 3: Access the PPSK Configuration
- Step 4: Enable and Manage PPSK
- Step 5: Add passwords to the configuration
- Screen cast
Step 1: Access the UniFi Network Dashboard
- Log into your UniFi Controller hosted by UniHosted.
- Navigate to the main dashboard. Here, you'll see an overview of your network's performance and configurations.
Step 2: Navigate to Wi-Fi Settings
- On the left panel, click on the 'Settings' (gear icon) to expand the settings menu.
- Select 'Wi-Fi' to enter the Wi-Fi settings page.
Step 3: Access the PPSK Configuration
- In the 'Wi-Fi' section, find the network for which you wish to configure PPSK.
- Click on the 'Manage' button next to your network's name.
- A window will pop up, showing details of your selected network. Under the 'Advanced' section, locate the 'Private Pre-Shared Keys' option.
Step 4: Enable and Manage PPSK
- Toggle on the 'Private Pre-Shared Keys' option.
- Once enabled, you can start adding devices or users. Assign each a unique key.
- Regularly monitor and manage these keys. You can revoke or change a key if a device is compromised or if a user no longer requires access.
Step 5: Add passwords to the configuration
After enabling Private Pre-Shared Keys, a modal appears where you can add passwords to a given network. Choose the default network, but you could add passwords for a specific network that is linked to a VLAN. For example, you can add a password “iotdevicespassword” and link it to the iot VLAN. This way, the device that uses this password will be isolated.
5. passwords overview.png
By following these steps, you can successfully configure PPSK for your networks, offering an added layer of security and flexibility in managing network access.
screen cast of setting up PPSK