How to install UniFi Controller on Linux?
Published onNovember 20, 2023
Installing the UniFi Controller software on a Linux system is a straightforward process, allowing you to manage your UniFi network with greater flexibility and control.
In this post, we'll guide you through the installation steps on a Linux environment.
Table of Contents
- Preparing for Installation
- Step-by-Step Installation Process
- Post-Installation Tips
- Final Thoughts
Preparing for Installation
Before you begin, ensure that your Linux system meets the following requirements:
- A supported version of Linux (Debian or Ubuntu are commonly used).
- A user account with sudo privileges.
- An active internet connection.
Step-by-Step Installation Process
Update System Packages
Open a terminal and update your system's package list.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
Add the Ubiquiti Repository
Import the Ubiquiti GPG key using the following command:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 06E85760C0A52C50
Add the Ubiquiti repository to your system:
echo 'deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/debian stable ubiquiti' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/100-ubnt-unifi.list
Install UniFi Controller Software
Update your package list again:
sudo apt-get update
Install the UniFi Controller:
sudo apt-get install UniFi
Start the UniFi Controller
Once the installation is complete, the UniFi Controller should start automatically. You can check the status with:
sudo systemctl status UniFi
Access the UniFi Controller
- Open a web browser and navigate to
<YourServerIP>with the IP address of your Linux server.
- You will be greeted by the UniFi setup wizard.
Complete the Setup Wizard
- Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your UniFi Controller.
- Firewall Settings: Ensure that your firewall settings allow traffic on port 8443, which is used by the UniFi Controller.
- Regular Updates: Keep your UniFi Controller software updated for the latest features and security enhancements.
- Backup Your Configuration: Regularly backup your UniFi Controller configuration to prevent data loss.
Installing the UniFi Controller on a Linux server provides a robust and flexible way to manage your UniFi network. For those seeking a more streamlined solution, we offer cloud-hosted UniFi Controller services at UniHosted.
Our cloud solutions eliminate the need for local hardware and software management, providing an efficient, secure, and scalable way to control your UniFi network. With us, you get the benefit of advanced management tools and dedicated support, ensuring your network is always at its best. Check it our here